This year, we celebrate the 100th anniversary of Fire Prevention Week (FPW)! Since 1922, the NFPA has sponsored the public observance of Fire Prevention Week to educate families, children, and adults on how to stay safe in case of a fire.
Safety is a core value of ours at The Shippers Group. Our associates are our greatest asset – making their health and safety our number one priority. Through training and practicing, like routine fire drills, we try our best to make sure we are prepared for any event. While we take action to make sure we are prepared at our sites, we also want to take this week to share some more tips to make sure you also have a plan at home.
This year’s FPW campaign, “Fire won’t wait. Plan your escape,” works to educate everyone about simple, yet important actions they can take to keep themselves and those around them safe from home fires. In a fire, mere seconds can mean the difference between a safe escape and a tragedy.
The best way to protect you and your family from a fire is to prevent it in the first place. Here are 10 Safety Tips you can practice to prevent a fire both at home and in the workplace:
- Install Smoke Detectors on every level of your home.
- Check/change batteries on smoke detectors twice a year in the Fall and in the Spring.
- Be sure all windows open easily.
- Home Fire Drills save lives. Frequently instruct children what to do in case of fire.
- Never open a door that is hot to touch.
- Give space to Space Heaters - 3 feet on all sides is recommended.
- Never overload electrical outlets.
- Make sure your home has a functional fire extinguisher and all family members know how to use it.
- Never put water on a grease fire.
- In the event of fire, DO NOT PANIC. Move quickly to escape the fire.
The Shippers Group is a leading national third-party logistics company headquartered in Dallas, Texas with distribution facilities in Texas, Georgia, Florida, and Virginia totaling 10 locations and over 4 million square feet of space. In addition to warehousing and transportation services, the company provides contract packaging and e-commerce fulfillment to the food, consumer goods and automotive industries. The Shippers Group was founded in 1901 and today employs over 1,500 associates nationwide.